Malaysian Cake Decorators' Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Donation to MyCakeDeco Club
Your contributions mean a lot to us. Click here to find out how you could help the continuity of this forum.
Latest topics
» MCDC Year End Party
by Inamohde Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:12 pm

» MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia
by Alannia Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 am

» Jo, our admirer
by sharanspice Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:05 am

» MCDC Meeting Rescheduled - All Members To Note
by Jo Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:19 pm

» MCDC Meet #9 - A Vegetarian Themed Gathering
by molly Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:55 pm

» how long does a orange butter cake can last???
by deepavic Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:45 pm

» MCDC Meet #8 - We will be at Pastry Pro this time!!!
by louis Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:38 am

» MCDC on Kuali
by TraceyChooi Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:55 am

» Festivities Cookie Decoration Contest 2010 Entrants - RESULT
by beginner Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:57 am

» MCDC Meet #7
by Jo Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:08 pm

» Festivities Cookie Decoration Contest 2010
by Najat Ahmad Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:10 am

» Garage Sale at MCDC Meet #7
by Jo Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia

+49
yatt
Eve
rosalind lok
theresalee
rosesroses
YM
naim
NingGeng
yokiew
vivvii
TraceyChooi
lsoo_chin
Douglas128
woanch
azalia
aeriuschang
junchin
phoenix cake
Gerry
gohjeanny
Alannia
sharon chua
PohSim
waniezz
anu2118
Josephine Stanley
Masurin
Ramlah
CAROLYN LOW
yasmink_abdullah
Terri Chai
Tepee
pearlie8
Yen Lee
rajahalida
Tava
Nira
Angeline
shimi
Najat Ahmad
Wee Fong
Laily
azlinaaaziz
innerviena
jamalkhir
millionairess
lyzaghazali
Audrey
Jo
53 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia - Page 5 Empty Re: MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia

Post by pearlie8 Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:17 am

You are right Yasmin. He said Let it dry for 20 mins before baking. I just referred to my notes and its written inside. Smile

pearlie8
Icing Maker
Icing Maker

Female
Capricorn Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-07-01

Back to top Go down

MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia - Page 5 Empty Re: MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia

Post by Jood Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:09 pm

The best thing about macarons is that even if you can't get them with feet or they end up an "unmitigated disaster" they usually taste pretty good.
You can crush them up and use them as sprinkles in other desserts.

It's definitely worth making your own though as they are so expensive everywhere. They are RM14 for a pair at the Godiva Cafe here. I'd rather make my own. I know some places sell them for less but I think the fun is in hopping around your own oven praying for those darned feet.

I know the recipe given says to use meringue powder for stabilising the macaronage but I read somewhere that it must be 'egg white powder' because meringue powder has sweetners and some other things added to it but as some of you have said that this recipe has worked I would like to try the meringue powder too. Egg white powder is so much cheaper though.

I just love that they can be so pretty. I could look at them all day.
Jood
Jood
Junior Cake Decorator
Junior Cake Decorator

Female
Libra Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2010-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by pearlie8 Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Jood,
Actually the recipe given states "Dry Egg White powder" @ 6gms and not meringue powder. But aside from its slight difference in content between meringue powder and dried egg white powder, I believe that it can be substituted with each other, no?

Yasmin,
I believe you used meringue powder for your 3 tries of the macaron, right? My first try, I made it using Dried Egg White Powder and its a success too.

pearlie8
Icing Maker
Icing Maker

Female
Capricorn Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2009-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by yasmink_abdullah Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:06 pm

yes pearlie's right, it does state dry egg white powder, i used meringue powder (that's what i have in my fridge)
yasmink_abdullah
yasmink_abdullah
Icing Maker
Icing Maker

Female
Pisces Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2009-05-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Jood Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:41 pm

I do remember reading somewhere that meringue powder shouldn't be substituted for the powdered egg whites because while both contain powdered egg white, the additional ingredients (starch, sugar, gum) in meringue powder will throw off the recipe and may limit the meringue's ability to whip up properly.

Of course, if you've had good luck with meringue powder then that's great. Egg powder is just a lot cheaper though.

Jood
Jood
Junior Cake Decorator
Junior Cake Decorator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Jood Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:48 pm

Drying the macaron shells pre-bake is often practiced because it allows a 'skin' to develop on the surface of each round. This offers some protection against eruption or splits and can limit spread.

Of course, many other issues can affect these fiddly beauties such as mixing (under & over!), oven temperature, the type of cookie sheets used, etc, etc...

It can be so frustrating and darned fun to make these little cookies. Like a science experiment.

I really wish I had gone to the meet. Sounds like it was great fun.

Jood
Jood
Junior Cake Decorator
Junior Cake Decorator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Alannia Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:29 pm

I thought I heard him say with his recipe no need to dry. Hmmm.......did I hear wrongly?

Alannia
Junior Cake Decorator
Junior Cake Decorator

Female
Virgo Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:00 am

Alannia, thanks for the effort in organising and uploading all the vidoes. Bet it took lots of time to do that. Thanks hubby too ya.
Jo
Jo
Admin

Female
Libra Number of posts : 3699
Competitions : MCDC Meet #10 at the Academy of Pastry Arts Malaysia - Page 5 Empty
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://jodelibakery.netfirms.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alannia Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:19 am

Glad to do it, Jo. Helps to me learn more new things too Smile

Alannia
Junior Cake Decorator
Junior Cake Decorator

Female
Virgo Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2010-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5